Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Should a Christian study philosophy?
Yesterday at 12:00 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven! By David H. Roper
Yesterday at 11:20 am by LesBrewer

» Sweet Company By Anne Cetas
Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:50 am by LesBrewer

» Got it or not? By Ray Ritchie....
Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 am by LesBrewer

» Out of the Deep By Kirsten Holmberg
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:15 am by LesBrewer

» Acts 9:36-37
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:58 am by clark thompson

» What is warfare prayer and is it biblical!
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:12 pm by LesBrewer

» What We Bring Back By David C. McCasland
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:40 am by LesBrewer

» Building Community By Philip Yancey
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 am by LesBrewer

» Didn’t Get Credit? By Cindy Hess Kasper
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 am by LesBrewer

» “I’m Really Scared . . .” By Dave Branon
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 am by LesBrewer

» Numbers 21:4-7
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:15 pm by clark thompson

» A Time for Everything By Amy Boucher Pye
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 pm by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about competition?
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 am by LesBrewer

» Mightier than All By C. P. Hia
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Repair or Replace? By Dave Branon

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Repair or Replace? By Dave Branon on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:59 am

LesBrewer

Repair or Replace? By Dave Branon

Read: 2 Corinthians 5:14-21

If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:17

It was time to fix the trim on the windows of our house. So I scraped, sanded, and applied wood filler to get the aging trim ready for paint. After all of my efforts—including a coat of primer and some too-expensive paint—the trim looks, well, pretty good. But it doesn’t look new. The only way to make the trim look new would be to replace the old wood.

It’s okay to have weather-damaged window trim that looks “pretty good” to our eye. But when it comes to our sin-damaged hearts, it’s not enough to try to fix things up. From God’s point of view, we need all things to become new (2 Cor. 5:17).

That is the beauty of salvation through faith in Jesus. He died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sin and rose from the dead to display His power over sin and death. The result is that in God’s eyes, faith in Christ’s work makes us a “new creation” (2 Cor. 5:17) and replaces the old with a “new life” (Acts 5:20). Looking through Jesus and His work on the cross for us, our heavenly Father sees everyone who has put his or her faith in Him as new and unblemished.

Sin has caused great damage. We can’t fix it ourselves. We must trust Jesus as Savior and let Him give us a brand-new life.

Heavenly Father, I understand that sin has damaged my heart. I put my trust in the Savior’s sacrifice and ask You to wash away my sins and make me a new person. Thank You for what Jesus did for me.

Only Jesus can give you a new life.

Insight:

Paul, the author of 2 Corinthians, had founded the church at Corinth during his second missionary journey (Acts 18:1-17) and spent 18 months there in ministry. This was a church that was struggling with a number of problems. Paul had addressed many of those problems in his first letter to them (1 Cor.). Now, some within the assembly—egged on by false apostles—were attacking his authority as an apostle. This letter was written to defend his apostleship and to provide a level of pastoral correction to the continuing problems at Corinth. His defense is most clearly seen in his transparent record of his own suffering for the message of the cross (2 Cor. 11:16–12:10). Bill Crowder

2 Corinthians 5:14-21 King James Version (KJV)

14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum