Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Take a Number By David H. Roper
Today at 10:24 am by LesBrewer

» Hide And Seek By James Banks
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am by LesBrewer

» Num 21:25-26
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 pm by clark thompson

» Serve and Be Served By Cindy Hess Kasper
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 am by LesBrewer

» What does it mean that Satan is the accuser?
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 pm by LesBrewer

» Choosing The Extraordinary Life!
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm by LesBrewer

» How Much More! By David C. McCasland
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 am by LesBrewer

» Great Love By Alyson Kieda
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 am by LesBrewer

» What's the Best Gift?
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:51 am by LesBrewer

» The Good Earth By Philip Yancey
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 am by LesBrewer

» Acts 10:12-13
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 am by clark thompson

» The Hand Of Comfort
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Ending By Amy Boucher Pye
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:40 am by LesBrewer

» Think Before You Speak By Poh Fang Chia
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:27 am by LesBrewer

» What does it mean when it says that God remembered something
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:50 pm by LesBrewer

November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Unpredictable By Bill Crowder

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Unpredictable By Bill Crowder on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:13 am

LesBrewer

Unpredictable By Bill Crowder

[mg]ttp://cdn.odb.org/files/2015/08/08-770x425.jpg[/img]

Read: Psalm 46

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! —Psalm 46:10

In the 2003 US Women’s Open, the relatively unknown Hilary Lunke secured the greatest prize in women’s golf—and a place in history. Not only did she win the US Open in an 18-hole playoff, but it was also her only professional victory. Her surprising and inspiring win underscores the fact that one of the most exciting things about sports is its unpredictability.

The unpredictability of life is not always so thrilling, however. We devise and strategize. We make plans, projections, and proposals about what we would like to see happen in life, but often they are little more than our best guess. We have no idea what a year, a month, a week, or even a day might bring. So we pray and plan, and then we trust the God who knows fully and completely what we can never predict. That is why I love the promise of Psalm 46:10: “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

Life is unpredictable. There are countless things I can never know with certainty. What I can know, however, is that there is a God who knows all and loves me deeply. And by knowing Him, I can “be still”—I can be at peace.

What plans do I need to surrender to God today?

For further study, read It’s Not Fair: Trusting God When Life Doesn’t Make Sense at discoveryseries.org/q0719

God’s care is the certainty we take into life’s uncertainties.

Insight:

Today’s psalm contains the much-loved and often-quoted words of verse 10: “Be still, and know that I am God.” But it is interesting to note the context of these words. The psalmist opens by celebrating the help of God in times of trouble (vv. 1-3) and then shows how strong the city of God is because God is there (vv. 4-7). In verses 8-9 the psalmist describes the strength of the Lord in terms of His power over war and desolation, and in verse 10 he proclaims that God will be “exalted among the nations.” In the midst of upheaval, whether natural or man-made, God is our stability. J.R. Hudberg

Psalm 46 King James Version (KJV)

46 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

7 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

8 Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum