Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Didn’t Get Credit? By Cindy Hess Kasper
Today at 8:56 am by LesBrewer

» “I’m Really Scared . . .” By Dave Branon
Yesterday at 10:45 am by LesBrewer

» Numbers 21:4-7
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:15 pm by clark thompson

» A Time for Everything By Amy Boucher Pye
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 pm by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about competition?
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 am by LesBrewer

» Mightier than All By C. P. Hia
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

» GUILT PATTERNS!
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:51 am by LesBrewer

» Reigniting Your Passion For Christ!
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:45 am by LesBrewer

» Beyond Labels By David C. McCasland
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 am by LesBrewer

» Just Like Dad By Leslie Koh
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm by LesBrewer

» Deep Roots By Mart DeHaan
Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 am by LesBrewer

» Are You Being Prepared? By Julie Schwab
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» Face to Face By Amy Boucher Pye
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:23 pm by LesBrewer

» Acts 9:32-35
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:00 am by clark thompson

» 6 things God will never do for you by Jeffrey Kranz
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:54 pm by LesBrewer

July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pencil Battle By Cindy Hess Kasper

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Pencil Battle By Cindy Hess Kasper on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:28 am

LesBrewer

Pencil Battle By Cindy Hess Kasper

Read: Judges 2:11-22

They did not cease from their own doings nor from their stubborn way. —Judges 2:19

As I learned to write my letters, my first-grade teacher insisted that I hold my pencil in a specific way. As she watched me, I held it the way she wanted me to. But when she turned away, I obstinately reverted the pencil to the way I found more comfortable.

I thought I was the secret winner in that battle of the wills, and I still hold my pencil in my own peculiar way. Decades later, however, I realize that my wise teacher knew that my stubborn habit would grow into a bad writing practice that would result in my hand tiring more quickly.

Children rarely understand what is good for them. They operate almost entirely on what they want at the moment. Perhaps the “children of Israel” were aptly named as generation after generation stubbornly insisted on worshiping the gods of the nations around them rather than the one true God. Their actions greatly angered the Lord because He knew what was best, and He removed His blessing from them (Judg. 2:20-22).

Pastor Rick Warren says, “Obedience and stubbornness are two sides of the same coin. Obedience brings joy, but our stubbornness makes us miserable.”

If a rebellious spirit is keeping us from obeying God, it’s time for a change of heart. Return to the Lord; He is gracious and merciful.

Heavenly Father, You are loving and gracious, and eager to forgive when we return to You. May we pursue you with our whole heart and not cling to our stubborn tendency to want things our way.

First we make our habits; then our habits make us.

Judges 2:11-22 King James Version (KJV)

11 And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord, and served Baalim:

12 And they forsook the Lord God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the Lord to anger.

13 And they forsook the Lord, and served Baal and Ashtaroth.

14 And the anger of the Lord was hot against Israel, and he delivered them into the hands of spoilers that spoiled them, and he sold them into the hands of their enemies round about, so that they could not any longer stand before their enemies.

15 Whithersoever they went out, the hand of the Lord was against them for evil, as the Lord had said, and as the Lord had sworn unto them: and they were greatly distressed.

16 Nevertheless the Lord raised up judges, which delivered them out of the hand of those that spoiled them.

17 And yet they would not hearken unto their judges, but they went a whoring after other gods, and bowed themselves unto them: they turned quickly out of the way which their fathers walked in, obeying the commandments of the Lord; but they did not so.

18 And when the Lord raised them up judges, then the Lord was with the judge, and delivered them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge: for it repented the Lord because of their groanings by reason of them that oppressed them and vexed them.

19 And it came to pass, when the judge was dead, that they returned, and corrupted themselves more than their fathers, in following other gods to serve them, and to bow down unto them; they ceased not from their own doings, nor from their stubborn way.

20 And the anger of the Lord was hot against Israel; and he said, Because that this people hath transgressed my covenant which I commanded their fathers, and have not hearkened unto my voice;

21 I also will not henceforth drive out any from before them of the nations which Joshua left when he died:

22 That through them I may prove Israel, whether they will keep the way of the Lord to walk therein, as their fathers did keep it, or not.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum