Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Acts 10:3-4
Today at 3:00 pm by clark thompson

» Let's Finish the Race
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:16 pm by LesBrewer

» PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT By Ray Ritchie
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:04 pm by LesBrewer

» Why do I need to be saved!
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:38 am by LesBrewer

» Time Is Relevant By Ray Ritchie!
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:05 am by LesBrewer

» Choosing The Extraordinary Life!
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:12 am by LesBrewer

» The Best Portion of All By James Banks
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 am by LesBrewer

» Anger Management By Linda Washington
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:38 am by LesBrewer

» Desire By Ray Ritchie!
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:05 pm by LesBrewer

» We Have a King! By Xochitl Dixon
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:40 am by LesBrewer

» Stay Awhile By David C. McCasland
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:52 am by LesBrewer

» What is Christian Rationalism
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 pm by LesBrewer

» Taking the first steps By Poh Fang Chia
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:04 am by LesBrewer

» what does it mean to speak the truth in love
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:03 pm by LesBrewer

» Writing Letters By Amy Boucher Pye
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:06 am by LesBrewer

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Raise Your Hand By Julie Ackerman

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Raise Your Hand By Julie Ackerman on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:55 am

LesBrewer

Raise Your Hand By Julie Ackerman

Read: John 4:7-15,28-30

God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. —John 3:17

The St. Olaf Choir from Northfield, Minnesota, is renowned for making beautiful music. One reason for its excellence is the selection process. Applicants are chosen based not only on how well they sing but also on how they sound as part of the whole. Another reason is that all members agree to make the choir their first priority and commit to a rigorous rehearsal and performance schedule.

One of the things that intrigues me the most about this choir is what happens during rehearsals. Whenever members make a mistake, they raise their hand. Instead of trying to hide the blunder, they call attention to it! This allows the conductor to help each singer learn the difficult part, and it increases the likelihood of a flawless performance.

I think this is the kind of community Jesus was establishing when He told Nicodemus that God sent His Son into the world to save it, not condemn it (John 3:17). Shortly after this conversation, Jesus encountered a Samaritan woman at the public well. He made it easy for her to admit failure by promising her a better way of life where she could enjoy His forgiveness (John 4).

As members of Christ’s body on Earth, we should not fear admitting our wrongs but welcome it as an opportunity to together experience and rejoice in the forgiveness of God.

Lord, it’s our tendency to hide our sins and flaws. May we come to You in full honesty, understanding that we are loved and forgiven by You.

For further help in understanding the gift of forgiveness, read The Forgiveness of God at discoveryseries.org/q0602

We can’t put our sins behind us until we are ready to face them.

INSIGHT:

Jesus crossed racial, cultural, theological, gender, and social boundaries when He spoke to the woman at the well. Samaritans were the descendants of the Israelites who intermarried with the Assyrians. Because of this, Samaritan customs and theology often differed from those of the Jews. The Samaritan woman was also an outcast among her own people for her failed relationships and immoral behavior. What a wonderful picture of the Savior reaching beyond all barriers with His love.

John 4:7-15 King James Version (KJV)

7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.

8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)

9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.

10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?

12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?

13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:

14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.

John 4:28-30 King James Version (KJV)

28 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,

29 Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?

30 Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum