Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» A Prayer of Forgiveness By David C. McCasland
Today at 5:07 pm by LesBrewer

» TRUTH BRINGS CONFRONTATION!
Yesterday at 5:32 pm by LesBrewer

» A New Community By Linda Washington
Yesterday at 4:46 pm by LesBrewer

» Even If - By Alyson Kieda
Sat May 19, 2018 3:11 pm by LesBrewer

» Overflowing By Adam Holz
Fri May 18, 2018 4:56 pm by LesBrewer

» Being absent.
Thu May 17, 2018 4:47 am by LesBrewer

» Acts 10:44-45
Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 am by clark thompson

» BEAUTY OF PATIENCE
Thu May 10, 2018 12:02 pm by LesBrewer

» Pressing On To Maturity -Study of the book of Hebrews!
Wed May 09, 2018 4:00 pm by LesBrewer

» The Point of No Return By Bill Crowder
Wed May 09, 2018 3:37 pm by LesBrewer

» A question about the sacrifice of Jesus
Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 pm by LesBrewer

» The Fingerprint of God By Dennis Fisher
Mon May 07, 2018 3:32 pm by LesBrewer

» Does a cashless society have anything 2 do with the end times
Sun May 06, 2018 8:53 pm by LesBrewer

» Standing on the Promises By David H. Roper
Sun May 06, 2018 12:54 pm by LesBrewer

» Keeping Close By Amy Boucher Pye
Sat May 05, 2018 5:29 pm by LesBrewer

May 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Release of Fear By Amy Boucher Pye

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Release of Fear By Amy Boucher Pye on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:47 pm

LesBrewer

The Release of Fear By Amy Boucher Pye

Read: Mark 6:45–53

Our bodies react to our feelings of dread and fear. A weight in the pit of our stomachs, along with our hearts pounding as we gulp for breath, signal our sense of anxiety. Our physical nature keeps us from ignoring these feelings of unease.

The disciples felt shockwaves of fear one night after Jesus had performed the miracle of feeding more than five thousand people. The Lord had sent them ahead to Bethsaida so He could be alone to pray. During the night, they were rowing against the wind when suddenly they saw Him walking on the water. Thinking He was a ghost, they were terrified (Mark 6:49–50).

But Jesus reassured them, telling them not to be afraid and to take courage. As He entered their vessel, the wind died down and they made it to the shore. I imagine that their feelings of dread calmed as they embraced the peace He bestowed.

When we’re feeling breathless with anxiety, we can rest assured in Jesus’s power. Whether He calms our waves or strengthens us to face them, He will give us the gift of His peace that “transcends all understanding” (Philippians 4:7). And as He releases us from our fears, our spirits and our bodies can return to a state of rest.

Lord Jesus Christ, help me when the dread seems to cling to me. Release me from my fears and give me Your peace.

The Lord releases us from fear.

INSIGHT
When we read today’s story, we may wonder why these sturdy fishermen would be afraid of a “ghost” (Mark 6:49). But put yourself in their shoes. The disciples did see someone walking on the water—and they knew that was not possible. We may not fear the same things they feared, but we all have fears. Just like the disciples, we need the assurance of Jesus’s words: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid” (v. 50). The Lord who fed the multitude with a few loaves and fishes is the same one who walked on water. The disciples did not need to fear because they knew who Jesus was and what He could do. Jesus was essentially saying, “Don’t be afraid! You know me.”

What are you afraid of today? What do you need to remember about Jesus that can help you trust Him?

J.R. Hudberg

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum