Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» A Prayer of Forgiveness By David C. McCasland
Today at 5:07 pm by LesBrewer

» TRUTH BRINGS CONFRONTATION!
Yesterday at 5:32 pm by LesBrewer

» A New Community By Linda Washington
Yesterday at 4:46 pm by LesBrewer

» Even If - By Alyson Kieda
Sat May 19, 2018 3:11 pm by LesBrewer

» Overflowing By Adam Holz
Fri May 18, 2018 4:56 pm by LesBrewer

» Being absent.
Thu May 17, 2018 4:47 am by LesBrewer

» Acts 10:44-45
Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 am by clark thompson

» BEAUTY OF PATIENCE
Thu May 10, 2018 12:02 pm by LesBrewer

» Pressing On To Maturity -Study of the book of Hebrews!
Wed May 09, 2018 4:00 pm by LesBrewer

» The Point of No Return By Bill Crowder
Wed May 09, 2018 3:37 pm by LesBrewer

» A question about the sacrifice of Jesus
Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 pm by LesBrewer

» The Fingerprint of God By Dennis Fisher
Mon May 07, 2018 3:32 pm by LesBrewer

» Does a cashless society have anything 2 do with the end times
Sun May 06, 2018 8:53 pm by LesBrewer

» Standing on the Promises By David H. Roper
Sun May 06, 2018 12:54 pm by LesBrewer

» Keeping Close By Amy Boucher Pye
Sat May 05, 2018 5:29 pm by LesBrewer

May 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Good Shepherd By Amy Boucher Pye

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Good Shepherd By Amy Boucher Pye on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:46 am

LesBrewer

The Good Shepherd By Amy Boucher Pye

Read: Isaiah 40:6–11

He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart. Isaiah 40:11

I sat in the hospital room with my husband, waiting anxiously. Our young son was having corrective eye surgery and I felt the butterflies jostle in my stomach as I fretted and worried. I tried to pray, asking God to give me His peace. As I leafed through my Bible, I thought about Isaiah 40, so I turned to the familiar passage, wondering if anything fresh would strike me.
As I read, I caught my breath, for the words from so many years ago reminded me that the Lord “tends his flock like a shepherd” as He “gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart” (v. 11). In that moment my anxiety left me as I realized the Lord was holding us, leading us, and caring for us. That was just what I needed, Lord, I breathed silently. I felt enveloped in God’s peace during and after the surgery (which thankfully went well).
The Lord promised His people through the prophet Isaiah that He would be their shepherd, guiding them in their daily lives and giving them comfort. We too can know His gentle tending as we tell Him our anxious thoughts and seek His love and peace. We know that He is our Good Shepherd, holding us close to His heart and carrying us in His everlasting arms.

Lord Jesus Christ, You are the Good Shepherd who lays down His life for His sheep. Thank You for the gift of Your sacrificial love and for the peace that passes all understanding.

The Good Shepherd cares for His sheep.

INSIGHT

Isaiah 40 starts a significant shift in the book of Isaiah, from grief and pronouncements of judgment for Israel’s sin, to a note of rock-solid comfort (v. 1), forgiveness, and healing—based entirely on God’s mercy and goodness. When the prophet wonders whether the people are too weak and fickle for this message, he is reminded that God’s restoration is not based on them, but only on God’s powerful word (v. 8).

In fact, Isaiah 40 is the first Old Testament text that explicitly articulates the theme of “good news” (v. 9) so important in the New Testament. This good news is that God’s powerful love in our lives does not depend on us. Despite our sin, we can always rely on our merciful God who will both tenderly care for us like a shepherd (v. 11) and, like a mighty warrior (v. 10), powerfully transform our lives.

In order to trust God with our deepest struggles, why do we need Him to be both tender like a shepherd and powerful like a warrior?

Monica Brands

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum