Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Our Guilt Is Gone By Xochitl Dixon
Today at 11:51 am by LesBrewer

» What is absolute reality?
Today at 11:30 am by LesBrewer

» Ripe for Harvest By Amy Boucher Pye
Yesterday at 12:17 pm by LesBrewer

» Reigniting Your Passion For Christ!
Yesterday at 10:16 am by LesBrewer

» Be Still By David C. McCasland
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:18 pm by LesBrewer

» The Turn By Tim Gustafson
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:27 pm by LesBrewer

» Let Freedom Ring
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:06 pm by LesBrewer

» From Grief to Joy By Alyson Kieda
Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:51 pm by LesBrewer

» Num 21:10-12
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:21 pm by clark thompson

» You’re an Original By David H. Roper
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 pm by LesBrewer

» A Separated People!
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 am by LesBrewer

» Promise of a Peaceful Home
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am by LesBrewer

» Not Fear but Faith By Amy Boucher Pye
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am by LesBrewer

» What is tota scriptura?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:01 pm by LesBrewer

» IS IT WORTH IT? - Ray Ritchie
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 am by LesBrewer

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bearing Good Fruit By Peter Chin

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bearing Good Fruit By Peter Chin on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:17 am

LesBrewer

Bearing Good Fruit By Peter Chin

Read: Psalm 1:1–3

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season. Psalm 1:3

The view from my airplane window was striking: a narrow ribbon of ripening wheat fields and orchards wending between two barren mountains. Running through the valley was a river—life-giving water, without which there would be no fruit.

Just as a bountiful harvest depends on a source of clean water, the quality of the “fruit” in my life—my words, actions, and attitude—depends on my spiritual nourishment. The psalmist describes this in Psalm 1: The person “whose delight is in the law of the Lord . . . is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season” (vv. 1–3). And Paul writes in Galatians 5 that those who walk in step with the Spirit are marked by “love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (vv. 22–23).

Sometimes my perspective on my circumstances turns sour, or my actions and words become persistently unkind. There is no good fruit, and I realize I haven’t spent time being quiet before the words of my God. But when the rhythm of my days is rooted in reliance on Him, I bear good fruit. Patience and gentleness characterize my interactions with others; it’s easier to choose gratitude over complaint.

The God who has revealed Himself to us is our source of strength, wisdom, joy, understanding, and peace (Ps. 119:28, 98, 111, 144, 165). As we steep our souls in the words that point us to Him, the work of God’s Spirit will be evident in our lives.

God’s Spirit lives in His people, in order to work through them.

INSIGHT:
This pictorial psalm with its word imagery is a suitable introduction for the entire library of prayer, praise, and reflection we know as the book of Psalms. In contrast to “the world” is the believer’s joy and pursuit of gleaning gems of spiritual truth in the Word of God. The law of the Lord is his object of meditation. The Hebrew word for meditate means to “digest over and over again like a cow who chews its cud.” This is a spiritual preoccupation that draws the believer to the Word both day and night (v. 2). The analogy of a “tree planted by streams of water” (v. 3) pictures for us the life-giving water and nutrients of the soil that cause plant life to flourish. The result of a life so rooted in the Word is the overflow of fruitfulness.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum