Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» From Grief to Joy By Alyson Kieda
Today at 3:51 pm by LesBrewer

» Num 21:10-12
Yesterday at 1:21 pm by clark thompson

» You’re an Original By David H. Roper
Yesterday at 12:25 pm by LesBrewer

» A Separated People!
Yesterday at 10:32 am by LesBrewer

» Promise of a Peaceful Home
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am by LesBrewer

» Not Fear but Faith By Amy Boucher Pye
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am by LesBrewer

» Reigniting Your Passion For Christ!
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:29 am by LesBrewer

» What is tota scriptura?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:01 pm by LesBrewer

» IS IT WORTH IT? - Ray Ritchie
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 am by LesBrewer

» Under His Wings By Linda Washington
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 am by LesBrewer

» Love for Children By Bill Crowder
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:51 am by LesBrewer

» How can I learn to not take offense at little things?
Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:44 am by LesBrewer

» Are you going to Heaven?
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:51 am by LesBrewer

» Grateful for Everything By Sheridan Voysey
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:19 am by LesBrewer

» Love Lifted Me!
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:39 am by LesBrewer

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cradled in Comfort By Kirsten Holmberg

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Cradled in Comfort By Kirsten Holmberg on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:54 pm

LesBrewer

Cradled in Comfort By Kirsten Holmberg

Read: Isaiah 66:12–16

As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you. Isaiah 66:13

My friend entrusted me with the privilege of holding her precious, four-day-old daughter. Not long after I took the baby into my arms, she started to fuss. I hugged her closer, my cheek pressed against her head, and began to sway and hum in a gentle rhythm to soothe her. Despite these earnest attempts, and my decade and a half of parenting experience, I couldn’t pacify her. She became increasingly upset until I placed her back into the crook of her mother’s eager arm. Peace washed over her almost instantaneously; her cries subsided and her newborn frame relaxed into the safety she already trusted. My friend knew precisely how to hold and pat her daughter to alleviate her distress.

God extends comfort to His children like a mother: tender, trustworthy, and diligent in her efforts to calm her child. When we are weary or upset, He carries us affectionately in His arms. As our Father and Creator, He knows us intimately. He “will keep in perfect peace all who trust in [him], all whose thoughts are fixed on [him]” (Isa. 26:3 nlt).

When the troubles of this world weigh heavy on our hearts, we can find comfort in the knowledge that He protects and fights for us, His children, as a loving parent.

Lord, help me to look to You for my comfort in times of distress.

For help in finding God’s comfort, read The Lord Is My Shepherd: Rest and Renewal from Psalm 23 at discoveryseries.org/hp952.

God’s comfort soothes us perfectly.

INSIGHT:

In reflecting on the exile of Israel under divine discipline, the prophet Isaiah offers hope and comfort. He sees very clearly that “the Holy One of Israel” and the Creator of all things in heaven and earth are connected. Israel had a wayward heart that is characteristic of the human race. Yet the ultimate goal of Israel’s discipline was to secure their repentance and therefore a future blessing in the eternal covenant established with His people. Certainly God’s plan for Israel’s redemption included an unexpected impulse of divine grace extended to all the peoples of the world—from every tribe, tongue, and nation: “After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb” (Rev. 7:9).

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum