Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 21:10-12
Yesterday at 1:21 pm by clark thompson

» You’re an Original By David H. Roper
Yesterday at 12:25 pm by LesBrewer

» A Separated People!
Yesterday at 10:32 am by LesBrewer

» Promise of a Peaceful Home
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am by LesBrewer

» Not Fear but Faith By Amy Boucher Pye
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am by LesBrewer

» Reigniting Your Passion For Christ!
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:29 am by LesBrewer

» What is tota scriptura?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:01 pm by LesBrewer

» IS IT WORTH IT? - Ray Ritchie
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 am by LesBrewer

» Under His Wings By Linda Washington
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 am by LesBrewer

» Love for Children By Bill Crowder
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:51 am by LesBrewer

» How can I learn to not take offense at little things?
Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:44 am by LesBrewer

» Are you going to Heaven?
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:51 am by LesBrewer

» Grateful for Everything By Sheridan Voysey
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:19 am by LesBrewer

» Love Lifted Me!
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:39 am by LesBrewer

» Who is greatest in the kingdom?
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 am by LesBrewer

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Something’s Wrong By Jolene Philo

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Something’s Wrong By Jolene Philo on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 am

LesBrewer

Something’s Wrong By Jolene Philo

Read: Psalm 34:11–18

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

The morning after our son, Allen, was born, the doctor sat down in a chair near the foot of my bed and said, “Something’s wrong.” Our son, so perfect on the outside, had a life-threatening birth defect and needed to be flown to a hospital 700 miles away for immediate surgery.

When the doctor tells you something is wrong with your child, your life changes. Fear of what lies ahead can crush your spirit and you stumble along, desperate for a God who will strengthen you so you can support your child.

Would a loving God allow this? you wonder. Does He care about my child? Is He there? These and other thoughts shook my faith that morning.

Then my husband, Hiram, arrived and heard the news. After the doctor left, Hiram said, “Jolene, let’s pray.” I nodded and he took my hand. “Thank You, Father, for giving Allen to us. He’s Yours, God, not ours. You loved him before we knew him, and he belongs to You. Be with him when we can’t. Amen.”

Hiram has always been a man of few words. He struggles to speak his thoughts and often doesn’t try, knowing that I have enough words to fill any silence. But on a day when my heart was broken, my spirit crushed, and my faith gone, God gave Hiram strength to speak the words I couldn’t say. And clinging to my husband’s hand, in deep silence and through many tears, I sensed that God was very near.

How has God used people to strengthen you when your spirit was crushed? Share your story at Facebook.com/ourdailybread.

The best kind of friend is a praying friend.

INSIGHT:

First Samuel 21:10–15 records the story of David pretending madness to the Philistines in order to escape the pursuit of King Saul, and it was this event to which David addressed Psalm 34. His joyful gratefulness for divine protection can be seen in verses 4–6, and he recommends that the reader also “taste and see that the Lord is good” (v. 8). A wonderful verse of ongoing thanksgiving and worship is verse 5: “Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.” The Wycliffe Bible Commentary tells us that this psalm is not only for ourselves but for the next generation: “Those addressed as children are again the humble and teachable disciples of any age (vv. 11–22).” God works in our lives at the most difficult times and His gracious lessons are worth passing on to others.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum