Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Our Guilt Is Gone By Xochitl Dixon
Today at 11:51 am by LesBrewer

» What is absolute reality?
Today at 11:30 am by LesBrewer

» Ripe for Harvest By Amy Boucher Pye
Yesterday at 12:17 pm by LesBrewer

» Reigniting Your Passion For Christ!
Yesterday at 10:16 am by LesBrewer

» Be Still By David C. McCasland
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:18 pm by LesBrewer

» The Turn By Tim Gustafson
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:27 pm by LesBrewer

» Let Freedom Ring
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:06 pm by LesBrewer

» From Grief to Joy By Alyson Kieda
Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:51 pm by LesBrewer

» Num 21:10-12
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:21 pm by clark thompson

» You’re an Original By David H. Roper
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 pm by LesBrewer

» A Separated People!
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 am by LesBrewer

» Promise of a Peaceful Home
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am by LesBrewer

» Not Fear but Faith By Amy Boucher Pye
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am by LesBrewer

» What is tota scriptura?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:01 pm by LesBrewer

» IS IT WORTH IT? - Ray Ritchie
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 am by LesBrewer

August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time Alone With God By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LesBrewer

Time Alone With God By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Read: Matthew 14:13–23

[Jesus] went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Matthew 14:23

It was a busy morning in the church room where I was helping. Nearly a dozen little children were chattering and playing. There was so much activity that the room became warm and I propped the door open. One little boy saw this as his chance to escape so when he thought no one was looking, he tiptoed out the door. Hot on his trail, I wasn’t surprised that he was headed straight for his daddy’s arms.

The little boy did what we need to do when life becomes busy and overwhelming—he slipped away to be with his father. Jesus looked for opportunities to spend time with His heavenly Father in prayer. Some might say this was how He coped with the demands that depleted His human energy. According to the gospel of Matthew, Jesus was headed to a solitary place when a crowd of people followed Him. Noticing their needs, Jesus miraculously healed and fed them. After that, however, He “went up on a mountainside by himself to pray” (v. 23).

Jesus repeatedly helped multitudes of people, yet He didn’t allow Himself to become haggard and hurried. He nurtured His connection with God through prayer. How is it with you? Will you take time alone with God to experience His strength and fulfillment?

Where are you finding greater fulfillment—in meeting the demands of life or in cultivating your relationship with your Creator?

When we draw near to God our minds are refreshed and our strength is renewed!

INSIGHT:

The theme of rest is at the heart of the Jewish faith. For example, one of the central practices of Judaism is Shabbat (Sabbath rest). In the first century, however, many Jewish leaders were requiring extra faith practices so burdensome that Jesus openly challenged them regarding the damage they were doing to the lives of the people (see Matt. 23:2–4). The weighty tasks of religious duty had robbed people of the relational rest God desired. That may be why Jesus spoke some of the most comforting words of His public ministry: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (11:28).

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum