Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Acts 10:14-16
Yesterday at 10:30 am by clark thompson

» What does it mean that ‘to die is gain’ (Philippians 1:21)?
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:19 pm by LesBrewer

» Make a Joyful Noise By Linda Washington
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:10 am by LesBrewer

» Take a Number By David H. Roper
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:24 am by LesBrewer

» Hide And Seek By James Banks
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am by LesBrewer

» Num 21:25-26
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 pm by clark thompson

» Serve and Be Served By Cindy Hess Kasper
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 am by LesBrewer

» What does it mean that Satan is the accuser?
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 pm by LesBrewer

» Choosing The Extraordinary Life!
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm by LesBrewer

» How Much More! By David C. McCasland
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 am by LesBrewer

» Great Love By Alyson Kieda
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 am by LesBrewer

» What's the Best Gift?
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:51 am by LesBrewer

» The Good Earth By Philip Yancey
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 am by LesBrewer

» Acts 10:12-13
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 am by clark thompson

» The Hand Of Comfort
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am by LesBrewer

November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can’t Take It Back By Anne Cetas

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Can’t Take It Back By Anne Cetas on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:51 am

LesBrewer

Can’t Take It Back By Anne Cetas

Read: Galatians 5:13-26

The fruit of the Spirit is . . . gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23

I couldn't take my actions back. A woman had parked her car and blocked my way of getting to the gas pump. She hopped out to drop off some recycling items, and I didn't feel like waiting, so I honked my horn at her. Irritated, I put my car in reverse and drove around another way. I immediately felt bad about being impatient and unwilling to wait 30 seconds (at the most) for her to move. I apologized to God. Yes, she should have parked in the designated area, but I could have spread kindness and patience instead of harshness. Unfortunately it was too late to apologize to her—she was gone.

Many of the Proverbs challenge us to think about how to respond when people get in the way of our plans. There’s the one that says, “Fools show their annoyance at once” (Prov. 12:16). And “It is to one’s honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel” (20:3). Then there’s this one that goes straight to the heart: “Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end” (29:11).

Growing in patience and kindness seems pretty difficult sometimes. But the apostle Paul says it is the work of God, the “fruit of the Spirit” (Gal. 5:22-23). As we cooperate with Him and depend on Him, He produces that fruit in us. Please change us, Lord.

Make me a gentle person, Lord. One who doesn’t quickly react in frustration to every annoyance that comes my way. Give me a spirit of self-control and patience.

To study more about the fruit of the Spirit, read the Discovery Series booklet Live Free by Constantine Campbell.

God tests our patience to enlarge our hearts.

Insight:

In his letter to the Galatians, Paul makes fourteen references to the Holy Spirit. Believers receive the Holy Spirit through faith the moment they believe (3:2–3, 5, 14). Believers are born of the Spirit (4:29), which qualifies them to call God “Abba, Father” (4:6). In today’s passage Paul warns that the flesh continues to resist the indwelling Spirit (5:17), but the key to victory is to walk in (or by) the Spirit (vv. 16, 25). Only in this way can a believer overcome the limitations of the flesh and live in a way that pleases God.

Galatians 5:13-26 King James Version (KJV)

13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum