Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Let's Finish the Race
Yesterday at 12:16 pm by LesBrewer

» PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT By Ray Ritchie
Yesterday at 12:04 pm by LesBrewer

» Why do I need to be saved!
Yesterday at 10:38 am by LesBrewer

» Time Is Relevant By Ray Ritchie!
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:05 am by LesBrewer

» Choosing The Extraordinary Life!
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:12 am by LesBrewer

» The Best Portion of All By James Banks
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 am by LesBrewer

» Anger Management By Linda Washington
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:38 am by LesBrewer

» Desire By Ray Ritchie!
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:05 pm by LesBrewer

» We Have a King! By Xochitl Dixon
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:40 am by LesBrewer

» Stay Awhile By David C. McCasland
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:52 am by LesBrewer

» What is Christian Rationalism
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 pm by LesBrewer

» Taking the first steps By Poh Fang Chia
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:04 am by LesBrewer

» what does it mean to speak the truth in love
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:03 pm by LesBrewer

» Writing Letters By Amy Boucher Pye
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:06 am by LesBrewer

» Seeing God By David Roper
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:54 am by LesBrewer

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hidden Treasure By Cindy Hess Kasper

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Hidden Treasure By Cindy Hess Kasper on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:57 am

LesBrewer

Hidden Treasure By Cindy Hess Kasper

Read: Proverbs 2:1-5

Search for [insight and understanding] as for hidden treasure. Proverbs 2:4

My husband and I read in different ways. Since English is a second language for Tom, he has a tendency to read slowly, word-for-word. I often speed-read by skimming. But Tom retains more than I do. He can easily quote something he read a week ago, while my retention can evaporate seconds after I turn away from the screen or book.

Skimming is also a problem when I’m reading the Bible—and not just the genealogies. I’m tempted to skim familiar passages, stories I’ve heard since I was a child, or a psalm that is part of a familiar chorus.

Proverbs 2 encourages us to make the effort to know God better by carefully seeking a heart of understanding. When we read the Bible carefully and invest time memorizing Scripture, we absorb its truths more deeply (vv. 1-2). Sometimes reading the Word aloud helps us to hear and understand the wisdom of God more fully. And when we pray the words of Scripture back to God and ask Him for “insight and understanding” (v. 3), we enjoy a conversation with the Author.

We come to know God and His wisdom when we search for it with our whole heart. We find understanding when we seek it like silver and search for it like hidden treasure.

Dear Lord, help me to slow down and listen to what You want to teach me through Your Word so I can be the person You want me to be.

For further study, check out this guide for how to grasp the truths of Scripture: at A Message for All Time

Read the Bible carefully and study it prayerfully.

Insight:

The book of Proverbs shows us how to live wisely. King Solomon, who was the wisest person in his day (1 Kings 4:29–34), wrote most of the proverbs. The New Living Translation Study Bible likens this book to “a compass that helps us navigate the murky waters of life. . . . Proverbs shows us that the source of all wisdom is a right relationship with God.” In the first nine chapters, a father advises his son how to live successfully by pursuing wisdom, understanding, and discernment—which can come only from God and His Word. Solomon desires his son to understand what it means to fear the Lord, for “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” (9:10).

Proverbs 2:1-5 King James Version (KJV)

2 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;

2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;

3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;

4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;

5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum