Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Out of the Deep By Kirsten Holmberg
Yesterday at 6:15 am by LesBrewer

» Acts 9:36-37
Yesterday at 3:58 am by clark thompson

» What is warfare prayer and is it biblical!
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:12 pm by LesBrewer

» What We Bring Back By David C. McCasland
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:40 am by LesBrewer

» Building Community By Philip Yancey
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 am by LesBrewer

» Didn’t Get Credit? By Cindy Hess Kasper
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 am by LesBrewer

» “I’m Really Scared . . .” By Dave Branon
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 am by LesBrewer

» Numbers 21:4-7
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:15 pm by clark thompson

» A Time for Everything By Amy Boucher Pye
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 pm by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about competition?
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 am by LesBrewer

» Mightier than All By C. P. Hia
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

» GUILT PATTERNS!
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:51 am by LesBrewer

» Reigniting Your Passion For Christ!
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:45 am by LesBrewer

» Beyond Labels By David C. McCasland
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 am by LesBrewer

» Just Like Dad By Leslie Koh
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm by LesBrewer

July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Saying Goodbye By C. P. Hia

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Saying Goodbye By C. P. Hia on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:48 am

LesBrewer

Saying Goodbye By C. P. Hia

Read: Luke 9:57-62

No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.

Luke 9:62

Saying goodbye is hard—to family and friends, to a favorite and familiar place, to an occupation or livelihood.

In Luke 9:57-62 our Lord describes the cost of being His disciple. A would-be follower says to Jesus, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.” Jesus responds, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God” (vv. 61-62). Is He asking His followers to say goodbye to everything and every relationship considered precious?

In the Chinese language there is no direct equivalent of the English word goodbye. The two Chinese characters used to translate this word really mean “see you again.” Becoming a disciple of Christ may sometimes mean others will reject us, but it does not mean we say goodbye to people in the sense that we are to forget all our past relationships. Saying goodbye means that God wants us to follow Him on His terms—wholeheartedly. Then we will see people again from the right perspective.

God wants the best for us, but we must allow Him to take priority over everything else.

Dear Lord, I want to follow You wholeheartedly. Help me not to place anything or anyone before You.

When we follow Jesus we get a new perspective.

Insight:

Luke’s account of Christ’s earthly life and ministry has several key features that distinguish it from the other three gospel records (Matthew, Mark, John). First, it contains the longest and most detailed narrative of Jesus’s birth—including the announcement of Mary’s pregnancy (Luke 1–2). Second, Luke’s account has a significant focus on Jesus’s interactions with women (see Luke 8:1–3). Third, Luke places more emphasis on Jesus’s parables than the other gospels—it contains eighteen unique parables, including the Good Samaritan (10:25–37) and the Prodigal Son (15:11–32). If, as many scholars believe, Luke’s record was primarily written to a Greek audience, their focus on learning would certainly account for that emphasis. Finally, since Luke was a physician, we find interesting medical details that the other gospels don’t include (see 9:29; 10:34; 22:44).

Luke 9:57-62 King James Version (KJV)

57 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.

58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.

62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum