Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Out of the Deep By Kirsten Holmberg
Yesterday at 6:15 am by LesBrewer

» Acts 9:36-37
Yesterday at 3:58 am by clark thompson

» What is warfare prayer and is it biblical!
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:12 pm by LesBrewer

» What We Bring Back By David C. McCasland
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:40 am by LesBrewer

» Building Community By Philip Yancey
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 am by LesBrewer

» Didn’t Get Credit? By Cindy Hess Kasper
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 am by LesBrewer

» “I’m Really Scared . . .” By Dave Branon
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 am by LesBrewer

» Numbers 21:4-7
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:15 pm by clark thompson

» A Time for Everything By Amy Boucher Pye
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 pm by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about competition?
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 am by LesBrewer

» Mightier than All By C. P. Hia
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

» GUILT PATTERNS!
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:51 am by LesBrewer

» Reigniting Your Passion For Christ!
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:45 am by LesBrewer

» Beyond Labels By David C. McCasland
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 am by LesBrewer

» Just Like Dad By Leslie Koh
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm by LesBrewer

July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Seventh Stanza By Tim Gustafson

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Seventh Stanza By Tim Gustafson on Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:58 am

LesBrewer

The Seventh Stanza By Tim Gustafson

Read: Luke 2:8-14

Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.

Luke 2:11

In the summer of 1861, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s wife, Frances, died tragically in a fire. That first Christmas without her, he wrote in his diary, “How inexpressibly sad are the holidays.” The next year was no better, as he recorded, “ ‘A merry Christmas,’ say the children, but that is no more for me.”

In 1863, as the American Civil War was dragging on, Longfellow’s son joined the army against his father’s wishes and was critically injured. On Christmas Day that year, as church bells announced the arrival of another painful Christmas, Longfellow picked up his pen and began to write, “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.”

The poem begins pleasantly, lyrically, but then takes a dark turn. The violent imagery of the pivotal fourth verse ill suits a Christmas carol. “Accursed” cannons “thundered,” mocking the message of peace. By the fifth and sixth verses, Longfellow’s desolation is nearly complete. “It was as if an earthquake rent the hearth-stones of a continent,” he wrote. The poet nearly gave up: “And in despair I bowed my head; ‘There is no peace on earth,’ I said.”

But then, from the depths of that bleak Christmas day, Longfellow heard the irrepressible sound of hope. And he wrote this seventh stanza.

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: “God is not dead, nor doth He sleep! The wrong shall fail, the right prevail, with peace on earth, good-will to men!”

The war raged on and so did memories of his personal tragedies, but it could not stop Christmas. The Messiah is born! He promises, “I am making everything new!” (Rev. 21:5).

Immanuel—God with us!

Insight:

It is likely that the shepherds in Luke 2 were not just ordinary shepherds. Because the shepherds’ fields of Bethlehem were so close to Jerusalem, many scholars believe that these were temple shepherds who raised the sheep that would be used at the temple sacrifice. If so, this announcement becomes an anticipation of the proclamation of John the Baptist when he first saw Jesus: “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29). These sheep destined for sacrifice would be replaced by God’s perfect Lamb—His one and only Son.

Luke 2:8-14 King James Version (KJV)

8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum